XML-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

XML-L Home

XML-L  July 2000

XML-L July 2000

Re: Transfer of XML docs via a FTP site

Demetris Zeinalipour <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Jul 2000 09:48:22 +0300

I am sure that there must be a dozen of Application and B2B Servers
available for that purpose (Microsoft Biztalk Application Server, Tamino,
others). In case you would like to implement the described procedure by
yourself  you could do it easily with the following steps:

1) Site A requests from site B a servlet page with a Socket Connection
(GET). Site A daemon could be implemented as a Java Thread.
2) The servlet on site B makes the appropriate Database connection an
returns a SQL Resultset.
3) The Resultset is passed through the Oracle XML SQL Utility (XSU). After
the use of XSU you have the resultset encoded in XML (actually a DOM).
4) Optionally you could pass the generated DOM through the parser of your
choice (In that way you can format the machine-generated DOM in the way you
like)
5) The servlet on site B opens a Socket connection (POST) and pass the DOM
as a string to a servlet on site A
6) (Optionally) Servlet on site A validates the posted XML data against a
DTD.
7) Servlet on site A could add the data to its database or something else

On the above procedure you could of sure add optionally security (SSL
encryption).
I hope the directions are clear enough ;-)

A more sophisticated (and effective) scenario could be done with the
deployment of Java based Mobile Agents (ORB). In brief, a Java Object
(called Agent) travels from site A to site B,  connects to the database of
site B , travels back to site A with the gathered XML data. They are of
course many variations of that scenario but this is not exactly related to
the interests of that group.

Thank's
Demetris Zeinalipour
University of Cyprus