Subject: Re: Letterspaced lowercase
From: "Rolf F. Rehe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:36:12 +0200

Kathleen:

>To my mind tracking is a modern computer function, not a description of a
>typographic effect. It isn't limited to "very slight increase" (or
>decrease, since it can go both ways) of intra-letter spacing. The tracking
>function in most software can achieve fairly gross effects.
>
>In Goudy's time, letterspacing took extra work. All we have to do is change
>a global setting and forget about it.
>
>What did you have in mind by suggesting this distinction? I'm probably
>missing your point...

The distinction that I had in mind was between forced letterspacing
(yes, in metal typesetting, it had to be done manually, one space a
time) and the intra-letterspacing (maybe that's a better term
anyhow?) that is 'built in' with certain fonts. To illustrate:
Verdana, which is created especially for online, has a generous
'intra-letterspacing', that is space around each (and hence between)
letter(s) to cater to specific online requirements. (Interestingly,
Verdana also works nicely as a font for print, its cousin Georgia to
a lesser degree.) Helvetica, for long a default font for online, does
not have that generous intra-letterspacing (hence it works fine for
print, not so good for online, but that's another topic).

Rolf

Design Research International
- Quality and Innovation -
e-mail: [log in to unmask]