Subject: Re: Letterspaced lowercase
From: "Rolf F. Rehe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:57:53 +0200

Kent:

>I agree with Kathleen: Tracking seems to be used most often these days to
>refer to broadly applied letter spacing (as opposed to individual pair
>spacing -- i.e. kerning) in either direction, to whatever degree.

But, there's still positive tracking, aka letterspacing, and negative
tracking (reduction of the space around letters). And as a little
sidebar, for Fraktur type, popular in Europe a century ago,
disagreement wasn't uncommon on how to treat prevailing ligatures
(including 'sch') - should they be letterspaced or not?

Rolf

Design Research International
- Quality and Innovation -
e-mail: [log in to unmask]