Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  July 2000

AFRIK-IT July 2000

Fwd: [ecommerce-discuss] Re: e-commerce training

Patrick O'Beirne <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 29 Jul 2000 08:22:59 +0100

Here is a message from the ecommerce discussion group with a reply that may
interest readers here:

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 00:31:34 EDT
>Subject: [ecommerce-discuss] Re: e-commerce training
>To: "ecommerce-discussion" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> >  From:    [log in to unmask] (cetech)
> >  Hi:
> >
> >  I am from one of the digitally poor countries in South East Asia.
> >  Since the global trend on doing business is with e-commerce, we
> >  need some advise on how we should start the training for the
> >  entrepreneurs especially SMEs to get familiar with e-commerce.
> >
> >  AThet
> >
> >  Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce & Industry(UMFCCI),
> >  504-506, Merchant Street, Kyauktada Tsp, Yangon, Myanmar.
> >  Tel: 95-1-246459, 95-1-243151, Fax: 95-1-248117.
> >  Atten: Mr Pyone Maung Maung
> >            Hon. Joint Secretary General.
>
>Clarification question for us ignorant savages who flunked global geography.
>
>Is your nation a "new democracy" fairly recently released from the ravages of
>colonial exploitation, corrupt oligarchical dictatorship, ugly civil wars, or
>cold war victims, such that there is widespread inexperience in, and
>understanding for, infrastructures needed to fuel growth of a native middle
>class?
>
>If any of above is true, then your need for growth in e-business education is
>probably part of a larger need for general linking up with the 21st century &
>becoming one of the new tiger economies that we formerly associated with Hong
>Kong, Singapore, and others, which I will not list so as not to broadcast the
>boundaries of my ignorance, before the last boom bust cycle in Asia.  You
>probably need to pursue several parallel avenues of how to become a digitally
>rich nation.  I suggest you consider inclusion of several areas, some of
>which I can further expand upon if you were formerly unfamiliar with these
>options.
>
>IBM's PIE
>
>"Partners in Education" is like local business community computer education
>cooperation.  Teams of local businesses, sometimes working through their
>Chambers of Commerce, "sponsor" local colleges & secondary schools curriculum
>in state-of-art information technology.
>
>IBM provides state-of-art hardware to the schools, that are participating in
>PIE, at extremely deep discounts (I would not be surprised if IBM is doing
>this at a loss), and various IBM business partners provide relevant software
>on similar pricing so low that if it wasn't for the fact that it is coming
>directly from the original vendors, you'd think it was stolen.
>
>IBM throws in tech support & upgrades for free, like improvements to
>operating systems to keep everything state-of-art.
>
>The teachers attend a two week class at IBM Rochester Minnesota in the
>summer.  IBM provides this for free (anyone else must pay thousands of
>dollars for the equivalent education.) ... the teachers only need to pay
> [...]

  Patrick O'Beirne B.Sc. M.A. FICS.  Software consultant
  Sign up for our free newsletter on the Euro and I.S. at
  http://www.sysmod.com/ Systems Modelling Ltd. Ireland