Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Minks at Clonmacnoise
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 21 Jun 2000 11:49:53 -0700

Scríbais Christopher:

> There are, however, Gaulish personal names like Magounus and Magunia, which
> seems to parallel the divine name Mogounos (linked to Grannus in CIL 13,
> 5315, a variant of Mogons.

Should Magunus/Mogounos be compared to the theonyms Map-on-os,
Matr-on-a, Div-on-a, Ep-on-a, Dam-on-a, and the anthroponym
Bratr-on-os (= big brother, according to Lambert)?  Is this
-ono-, -onâ just a simple augmentative, similar to the modern
'tromba' > 'trombone'?

How about the theonyms Cernunnos and Meduna, which apparently
retain the u-stem of kernu- (horn) and medu- (mead)?

As you noted earlier, OI 'mug' (male slave, servant) derives
from Common Celtic *magus.  Lambert sees this magu- in Gl.
names such as Magurix, Magullius, Magulo-.

Could Magunos mean simply "the great servant", as Matronâ is
"the great mother"?  Or possibly "the one having slaves", if
Medunâ means "she who has mead" or "the mead-y one"?

Once again, I'm speculating beyond my competence.

Dennis