Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Loch Sloy
From: Gary Ingle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Jun 2000 21:03:12 -0700

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Liam Cassidy wrote:

> A Fhraing ch˛ir:
>
> 'S e Loch Sloidh a th' ann, de rŔir Dwelly's. Chan eil fhios agam cÓite ann
> an Alba a tha Loch Sloidh.
>
> Ach tha Dwelly a chanadh "Gleann Sluagh" air son Glen Sloy.
>
> It's "Loch Sloidh" according to Dwelly's. I don't know where in Scotland
> Glen Sloy is.
>
> But Dwelly says "Gleann Sluagh" for Glen Sloy.
>
> Liam

Tha Loch Sloidh suidhichte beagan an iar ceann a tuath Loch Laomainn.
Loch Sloy is located a bit west of the north end of Loch Lomond.

'S docha gur e "sl˛igh" an t-ainm ceart; is e sin an cumadh iolra den
fhacal "sl¨agh".
Possibly "sl˛igh" is the correct name; that is the plural form of "sl¨agh".

Gary