Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject:Brí "breall"
From: Marion Gunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Jun 2000 15:07:15 +0000

A thuilleadh taighde.

A bit more research.  More to do yet, but so far have only found here
“the usual suspects”, that is, meanings of “breall” matching my own
experience of ordinary Munster speech, that is, with no sexual
connotations at all -- which doesn’t mean that such do not exist, and
traceable, as Dáithí has shown, to the very same source! -- only that I
have yet to find any where I searched today. Since this is now
definitely a Modern Irish topic (unattested in Old Irish sources), the
rest of this debate, if any, will prob. be on the G-L list.

D’osclaíos foclóir lámhscríofa Uí Mhaoileoin anseo i gCartlann na
gCanúintí (ceann de na foclóirí is cuimsithí dá bhfuil againn anseo)
agus seo mar atá curtha síos ansan aige (ceannfhocla i gceannlitreacha,
nótaí foghr./gramadaí dealaithe agam, de ghrá na simplíochta):

BREALL
1. In abairtí cainte
2. = breill

Tá breall ort, a bhuachaill.
You are wrong, son.

D’fhág san breall air.
That left him sorry for himself, out in the cold.

BREILL
An expression of the mouth as when about to cry. Pouting lips, pout.

Cad a chuir an bhreill air?
What put him in the pounts?

Sullen appearance, appearance of the mouth in the act of crying.

Cad a chuir an bhreill ort?
What made you so sullen?

Nár imí an bhreill duit marab ort atá sé go míchumtha!
Long may you carry your sullen scowl, and a bad one it is.

B’fhéidir nach fada a bheinnse ag fáil rud éigin a bhainfeadh an bhreill
díot.
Maybe I would not be long curing your pouts for you.

Chuir S. bhocht breill ar a haghaidh chun eagla a chur ar na leanaí.
Poor S. made “faces” at th echildren in order to frighten them.

Bain díot (cur uait) an bhreill anois, agus ná bí ag gol.
Stop your crying now my boy.

Tá pus is breill (is tormas) air chugham lé seachtain.
He is not very good friends with me for the past week now.

Cé hé fear na breille thiar i ndeireadh an bháid?
Who is your sullen-looking friend at the back of the boat?

Imíonn an spré leis an bhfaill ach fanann an bhreill ar an mnaoi.
The dowry becomes squandered but the woman is still remains unchanged
(as surly as ever).

More later, perhaps, if I can carve out some time to come back to this.
mg

--
Marion Gunn
Everson Gunn Teoranta