XML-L June 2000

Re: Strengths and weaknesses with XML

Santosh Daryani <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:18:45 -0400

  You might have already got and idea by browsing the net , foll are some of the
points I could gather from the books and magazines I've read that summarize the
strengths and weaknesses of XML

Why XML

     The document creation with XML is very simple compared to SGML.
     The XML documents are readily portable over the net, when compared to SGML.
     HTML documents are also portable, but it has certain limitations like it
     cannot identify the data it displays.
     XML is extensible since the author of XML document can define his own tags
     but HTML has certain, only those tags a author can use, because the browser
     can understand only those tags.It is not limited to a predefined set of
     tags.
     XML documents can be used for storing data .
            XML can be used for data transformations using what is called XSLT ,
     I'll try an give an example.
               Say a company accepts orders from different  vendors , each
     having their own data structure , most of the structure may be common to
     the company , but because of certain discrepancies different cases have to
     be considered. But this can be be overcome by using a common XML document
     and DTD ( Data Type Definition ) to which all can conform.

     XML documents can be moved to any format on any platform -- without the
elements losing their         meaning. That means you can publish the same
information to a web browser, a PDA, or a               network-enabled bread
machine and each device would use the information appropriately.

     Using XML with XSL or CSS, you can manage your Web site's content and
style, and change style in one place (the     style sheet) instead of editing
piles of HTML files or, worse, editing the scripts that produce HTML
dynamically.        Using SAX or DOM, you can treat Web documents as object
structures and process them in a general and clean           way.

     Weaknesses : its not yet recognized by all browsers , XML needs a XML
parser which is not provided by all                browsers. Internet Exploree
5.0 has it , other XML parsers and tools are available as freeware.

     I hope I was able to provide the information you were looking for

Santosh.