Subject: Re: A weighty question
From: Gary Munch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:27:46 -0400

>To me it seems questionable that bold variations of fonts would have
>originated from worn out sorts. But I have no way of knowing it for
>sure.

The newspaper fonts would wear out quickly but
>would be used in a somewhat poor state for a while still.

>Fonts used for job printing had much less wear and tear and remained
>sharp for a long time. These 'good' fonts were never to be used on
>the newspaper side to prevent them from becoming worn out quickly.

Well, Rolf, now there's one data point in the tale. But by your time, such
separation was a standardized procedure, I expect, whereas decades &
centuries earlier it may (and I speculate here, you understand) not have
been as typical.
Now to find some data points from early to late 1800s. Not many setters
around from then, I fear.

Gary