Re: eth vs. dcroat vs. dstroke?

Gary Munch <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Jun 2000 11:33:23 -0400

>gary asks, re the shape of the eth,
>
> Right, caught out, that is indeed the partial differential, not the Greek
> character lc delta . . . though the p.d. shares enough design features
>(and
> is placed in a slot near the other MacMath Greek-derived sorts, and I do
> think of it as delta anyway:-) and appears to be based on the delta.
> barbara?
>
>as i understand it, the partial differential symbol is a variant on
>the lowercase delta. (it also happens to be the same as the "italic"
>form of a cyrillic lc d.)

Though also the cursive -be- can take the form of the modern Greek lc delta
that hooks its ascender back to the right.
The part.diff. delta shape is also similar to the blackletter rounded d,
similar to the Uncial D.

>checking this out in faulman's "buch der schrift", i find that the
>origin of the gothic alphabet (that's the alphabet for the gothic
>language, current in what is now part of northern germany sometime
>late in the first millennium) was indeed a blending of greek and
>runic, devised by the bishop wulfila for the purpose of being able
>to write down a translation of the bible in the vernacular. it's
>been a long time since i studied this, and i'd forgotten that the
>order of the gothic alphabet is very similar to that of russian,
>both, of course, influenced by the greek, not the latin.
>
>in faulmann, the greek lc delta is given as the sound value of the
>thorn, distinct from the d; my recollection of phonetic alphabets
>is weak, and i don't know whether this is the current standard
>for the voiced "th" (faulmann dates from 1890).

Edh is the IPA sign for voiced th, theta for unvoiced.

>more than you wanted to know, gary?

bb, nothing is ever more than I want to know!
Gary