Subject: Re: Photoshop 5.5 / font problems
From: George Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 18 May 2000 13:08:00 -0500

Richard Kegler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have noticed (and have had a couple people contact us) regarding an odd
> problem with (Mac PostScript) fonts which were generated in Fontographer.
> They do not seem to show up in the font menu of recent Adobe Applications,
> specifically Photoshop 5.5 and InDesign. It is not every font, only some.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? Has Adobe changed their specs to be more
> discriminating toward non-Adobe encoded fonts?

Yes. I was tearing my hair out over it, but I found that it happened only on
my computer and not on others I tested on. My fonts were all generated as
Adobe encoded so that doesn't seem to be the problem.

They all show up in most applications (not InDesign), but often at the
bottom of the font list. Family groups sometimes are separated. I have found
that a desktop rebuild solves it many times. Also loading the fonts on the
fly with ATM or Suitcase while InDesign is running seems to contribute to
the problem. If I restart InDesign, then things clear up.

George E. Thompson                               Art & Design Department
No Bodoni Typography                            Columbia College Chicago
[log in to unmask]                       [log in to unmask]
http://nobodoni.com                                http://www.colum.edu/

"I felt bad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no Bodoni."