Subject: Re: Fonts for On-line Manual
From: "Hrant H. Papazian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 May 2000 14:31:07 -0700

Alexei Kostin wrote:
> Is there a Type1 version?

I don't think so.
Is that a serious problem for PDF?

There are Type 1 fonts in the Scotch style, but none
match Georgia in my book, not least because its hinting
gives superb results on screen (in Windows if not PDF),
but also because it curtails the anachronistic affectations
that ruin most such designs. (Uh, sorry for those big words,
they just came out.. :-)

The only major gripe I have with it is that
its Bold is really a Black. But I don't see
that as being Carter's fault.

> Am I correct that Minion was designed
> specially for on-line publishing?

I highly doubt it. It's basically a very
clean and powerful* Garamond**, best used
for book typography, I'd say.

* The MM version.

** By this I mean that it's based on the actual work of
   Garamond, not the stuff that passes for what he did.

Minion *Web*, however, is an instance of MinionMM (perhaps
slightly post-processed) intended for on-screen use.
That's why it's in TT format.

hhp