Subject: Re: New magazine
From: Ron Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 May 2000 10:41:25 -0400

At 03:42 PM 5/10/2000 +0200, Florian Hars wrote:
> > Forgive my ignorance: should one avoid numeric HTML entities? Is this
> > something to do with Unicode?
>
>No, but you should avoid to use numeric entities that are undefined in
>the encoding declared for the document. There are no true quote marks
>in iso-8859-1 and no defined entity between &128; and &159; inclusive.
>Use
>        253   171   AB          LEFT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK
>        273   187   BB          RIGHT-POINTING DOUBLE ANGLE QUOTATION MARK
>instead.

But you shouldn't be using character entities for symbols like that in your
web pages, either. Nor for em- and en- dashes and stuff. They're just not
fully supported and some people just won't be able to view them correctly.

And yeah, it's a TOTAL bummer. I can't wait for the day when I can do an
em-dash instead of "--", not to mention a nice ellipsis and all those other
things.

*sigh*...

Ron :/

Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue.
Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they
really are or people might think we're stupid. - Jules Feiffer

Allow me to introduce my selves... http://www.psymon.com
Digital art, dreams & fantasies... http://www.psymon.com/art/