Subject: Re: book found online has interesting ideas re the alphabet
From: "Hrant H. Papazian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 May 2000 15:45:59 -0700

"Kate Gladstone & Andrew S. Haber" wrote:
> the VERY interesting chapter on the alphabet is Chapter 9 at

If I may ask, what did you find SO interesting in there?

Looking at Skoyles' website, there are a number of things I got to
liking about him as an individual. But I found no original insight
in that chapter. What I did find is some conceptual flaws, like:
1. His ignorance of the fact that we
   generally read words, not letters.
2. His implication that languages with a large number of
   syllables cannot benefit from a writing system that exhibits
   syllabic grouping. Hangul has much to teach us - our pride
   should not impede progress.