Subject: Ye superscript
From: Ron Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 19 May 2000 18:20:10 -0400

Here's a question for yas...

I'm typesetting a little something, that contains the word "ye" in it, and
I want the "e" to be set in superscript, of course.

Haven't quite decided on the font yet, but it'll be in some relatively
standard roman serif font, and what I'm wondering about is relative size
and placement of the "e".

As it is, where the word "ye" is in the overall text is already set fairly
small (7 pt., which it pretty well has to be in this context) and
personally I thought it looked good with the "e" set just one point
smaller, at 6 pt. (since it's already pretty small) -- although if the main
point size was larger I think I'd make the "e" even smaller in proportion
than that -- and with the horizontal line in the middle of the "e" (is
there a name for that???) set even with the top of the "y", and quite snug
up against it (but not overlapping, nor with any real space, either).

How would you guys'n'gals do it? Is there a rule for superscripting stuff
like that? I've got a Tschichold article on superscripting, but it's all in
reference to numbers, like with footnotes and stuff.

TIA!

Ron :)

Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue.
Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they
really are or people might think we're stupid. - Jules Feiffer

Allow me to introduce my selves... http://www.psymon.com
Digital art, dreams & fantasies... http://www.psymon.com/art/