Subject: 'Eye' Strain (was Re: Transitional period)
From: andy crewdson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 May 2000 03:16:56 -0700

Hrant said:
>But only quality they're "trained" to see/hear/feel. When I
>see fake smallcaps, I convulsively *have* to complain to the

If we're reveling in our typo-neuroses here (and I know this one has been
beat to death, but Hrant brought it up, so...), I'll mention something
which has been irking me over the past few days:

Reading _Eye_ magazine can really be an unparelleled aesthetic experience.
It appeals not only to the mind but also to the senses: the feel of the
thick, luxurious stock; the great quality of the offset; that intoxiciating
_Eye_ smell (is it the ink or the paper? a mix?); the dry & sometimes
ponderous, but usually quite provocative design criticism (complex
simplicity? woah! polyesther modernism? brilliant!); and of course, the
excellently employed Bell Gothic and Proforma. Ahh yes Proforma, we love
the Proforma. Sometimes it so hard to focus on the words when the words are
so nice looking themselves, innit? Getting lost in the Proforma is so easy;
a bit spiky and taut, it has such a wonderful rhythm.

But then I noticed that the designers at _Eye_ employed the Proforma small
caps with disappointing irregularity in issue 35. I am quite sure I saw
some faked/Quarked small caps, and it really muddled the whole _Eye_
experience, for a time at least. I hope they will avoid this mistake in
future issues (come on - for US$26.50 are real small caps too much to ask
for? No, I didn't think so.).

Andy