Subject: Re: Transitional period
From: ibbetson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 7 May 2000 14:00:02 -0400

At 17:44 07-05-00 +0100, Roy Preston wrote:
>I see the music industry is in discussion tonight on the Money Programme --
>free music downloading is threatening the industry, just as it's
>threatening all software applications including, in our case, typefaces.

Free music downloading doesn't appear to be threatening the music makers,
though it may come to do so. At the moment we're hearing about easy entry
for bands/musicians/composers. Long term a handful of millionaires *may* be
replaced by hundreds of people making smaller incomes. But in the music
industry, as elsewhere, several layers of management are going to disappear.

>Does anyone have any views on what the future holds for us?

Not much change. Skill, training, and practice are needed to produce good
typography. I look at the marvellous furniture on the Antiques Road Show
and the great buildings that are scattered over Europe. But rather than
compare them with what's available down the road, I consider the rubbish
that didn't survive.

I doubt the future of enforceable protection of intellectual property, but
that is another matter.

David ib

David Ibbetson * 133 Wilton Street * Unit 506 * Toronto M5A 4A4
                      mailto:[log in to unmask]
Phone:(416)363-6692     Cel:(416)831-6692     Fax:(416)363-4987