Subject: Re: Fazed Weiss Roman majuscule quickly vexes Randolph, bigtime
From: "Nguyen, Phan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 May 2000 14:49:13 -0700

> How did he do it? Why? What daring! It looks "almost" upside down yet
> works well the way it is.

Weiss was the man. A lot of modern day novelty types try to break the rules
but few can pull it off. Weiss Roman did it with style. Like most other
metal types, the digital translation lost a lot of the original meaning.

>  Does anyone have info on the construction
> of this face?

"From sketch to type: the evolution of a Bauer type face" was the name of a
tiny Bauer promotional booklet that explained the process of turning Weiss's
drawings into a typeface. However, it doesn't actually discuss the concept
of the design.

Take a look at Weiss Initials, too. Hubba hubba!

I can't remember if Bauer Elizabeth (aka Elisabeth) also has a top-heavy
quality. Regardless, it's very similar to Weiss Roman and was designed by a
student of his or something like that. I can't look it up right now.

> Has anyone on the list attempted a similar
> construction?

Evert Bloemsma with FF Balance. If he's not on this list, he's on the
type-design list.

I believe an article discussing this concept behind Balance and Evert's
other fonts will be printed in the next issue of the ATypI journal Type.