Subject: Re: Letterpress Scala (Majoorly Nice!)
From: "Hrant H. Papazian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 May 2000 12:15:37 -0700

Vladimir G Ivanovic wrote:
> None of this fuzzy stuff. Incredible what
> modern technology can do, don't you think?

In some ways, yes. But beware of technophilia!

Over the years I've become convinced that there is
a duality in... well, everything! But specifically,
there is a duality in the perception of typography:

1. What we see consciously is superficial and subject
to personal taste (which is fundamentally a product of
circumstance). This decade we might like nice rigid
columns and letterforms - next decade we might
like highly organic stuff.

2. What we see through our "meat & bones", which is
determined by Nature, and changes *extremely* slowly.

As a rule, these two aspects don't see eye to eye,
so to speak. Admiring a layout is a conscious act,
so it falls almost entirely under #1. On the other
hand, immersive reading is largely under #2.

So, the fact that crisp type appeals to you or
me when we look at it consciously means little
in terms of the true functionality of reading.

hhp