Subject: Mac Character Map utility?
From: Matt Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 25 May 2000 15:42:56 EST

Hi,

I'm running Mac OS 8.1 on a 7200/90 PPC. Does anyone know if there's a
freeware utility available that would show all available glyphs in a font?

Key Caps, or whatever it's called, doesn't really do the trick, because you
have to try all the key combinations in order to see how they're mapped. I'd
like something more like the Character Map accessory in Windows, which shows
a table of characters.

Even that might not be enough. I'm trying to figure out how to access some
characters that lie outside the ASCII text range -- in particular, some
special Yiddish characters in the SIL Ezra font, with glyph numbers up in
the 600's.

If you're curious, the SIL Ezra font is available from:

  http://www.sil.org

Unfortunately, their server seems to have been down for several days in a
row. I hope it comes back up.

On a related note, has anyone here ever used Adobe PageMaker ME (Middle
Eastern edition)? Is it any good for Hebrew/Yiddish typesetting?

Yours,

- Matt Fisher