Subject: Re: WhiteOut-L
From: Gunnar Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 7 May 2000 20:07:52 -0700

Ron,

>Oh, and someone said something somewhere -- I can't remember who said it or
>if it was on- or off-list -- that maybe I basically just feel uncomfortable
>around white people. Well, it's not white people per se that I'm

Off list I mentioned that -I- don't feel comfortable around too many white
people. It was clear your comments were heartfelt, the only questions were
whether they were appropriate and on target. As someone who tries to remain
inappropriate and sneaking around the side of the target for another view,
I could relate.

It's a strange topic of conversation, not just because of social taboos
about confrontation, but because it requires being honest and open while
being clear and somewhat cautious.

>PS. For you younguns out there who don't know what "white out" is (re the
>subject heading of this message), that's just another word for "liquid
>paper", which is what we oldtimers who once had to write things out slowly

And a popular inhalant for people who can't afford "real" drugs.

Gunnar

Gunnar Swanson Design Office    director, multimedia program
59 North Linden Drive           California Lutheran University
Ventura CA 93004-1236           60 West Olsen Road #3900
                                Thousand Oaks CA 91360-2700
v: +805 647 7000
f: +805 647 7754                        v: +805 493 3241
e: [log in to unmask]             e: [log in to unmask]