Subject: Re: Transitional period
From: Laurence Penney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 May 2000 13:08:29 +0100

>> I see the music industry is in discussion tonight on the Money
Programme --
>> free music downloading is threatening the industry, just as it's
>> threatening all software applications including, in our case, typefaces.
>>
>> Does anyone have any views on what the future holds for us?
>
>Free music downloading is not threatening the industry, some industry
>folks are just under the delusion that it is. ...

I thought this until I downloaded the free MusicMatch JukeBox [1], one of
the most amazing pieces of software I've ever used. With bandwidth for all,
which is already in much of North America, and is coming in the UK in a
couple of months, it will be extremely tempting to email entire albums to
one's friends. I can see myself not using CDs at all in a few months' time,
except for music and data backup.

The music industry should have looked at the font industry long ago, since
it simulated what would happen thanks to the fact that fonts are ~1% the
size of popular music tracks. Some said years ago, that if we'd persuaded
the music biz of this, a legal & technical solution to font & music piracy
would have been in place by now.

-- Laurence

[1] www.musicmatch.com