Re: MP3

Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 May 2000 08:13:15 +1200

> Even you will find it hard to distinguish acurrately and reliable
> between 256k mp3 and cd, I think.

I'm sorry Martin, but this is an illogical (and silly) thing for you to say.
You have no knowledge of how well I or others (outside of one example you
gave) can hear differences.

To bring this back to type, it's similar to many people attitude to, and
ability to tell the difference between various typefaces.

There are a number of people who can barely tell the difference between a
serif and sans serif typeface. The differences are meaningless to them and
they probably don't even care that there may be differences. A lot of people
are like that with sound quality - if there are differences they don't care,
and therefore can't hear any differences.

Other people are very type sensitive (I bet Hrant could pick Rotis at 100
paces on a dark night :-) and these differences are important to them - they
*care* about the differences. It's the same with sound quality (or wine, or
single malt whiskey, or anything else people care about). The people who are
sensitive to the differences - who *care* about the differences - find that
these differences are not trivial and are relatively easy to tell apart.

Just as most people on this list would find it silly to be told that that
cannot tell typefaces apart, merely because most people cannot, I find it
illogical for absolute statements to be made that mp3s cannot be
distinguished from CDs, simply because some people find them similar.

design&image - where design meets business!
Phone 09-478 1301 or 025-499 975. Fax 09-476 9122.
http://www.design-image.co.nz