Subject: Re: Type factoids
From: Ron Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 May 2000 10:59:04 -0400

At 08:04 AM 5/22/2000 -0400, Kent Lew wrote:
>According to Robert Bringhurst in "The Elements of Typographic Style" (2nd
>edition, Hartley & Marks, 1996), Fette Fraktur was designed by Johann
>Christian Bauer and issued by Bauer's foundry in 1850.

Interesting! Very interesting! Never thought that any of my beloved
blackletter fonts were actually that old, just figured that they were all
more recent digital "inventions".

How 'bout Cloister Black? Got a birthdate for that one, perchance? I love
that font (and it's what I use in the titling on my site), just adore it,
probably more than almost any other blackletter font I have (and I've got a
fair bunch -- although I certainly don't have "them all"). There seem to be
a lot of crappy blackletter fonts out there, actually -- although Cloister
Black and Fette Fraktur are a couple of my faves, for sure.

Ron :)

Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue.
Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they
really are or people might think we're stupid. - Jules Feiffer

Allow me to introduce my selves... http://www.psymon.com
Digital art, dreams & fantasies... http://www.psymon.com/art/