Subject: Re: Schröööder
From: Rodolfo Capeto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 11 May 2000 14:24:25 -0300

On Thu, 11 May 2000, William I. Johnston wrote:

> Thanks, crism, for setting him straight about why Schröder is
> correctly encoded for smart e-mailers. I use pine and the umlaut
> shows up just fine, so this is really a recipient's problem,
> not the sender's problem.

Not necessarily. I also use pine, Martin's signature showed up
fine here too, but I keep getting that sort of code all the time:
for example, when I receive a message that has been processed by a
non-extended-chars-savvy list digest software (like Majordomo,
for instance, if I recall correctly). So much so that it is
considered a netiquette breach, here in my country, to use
accented characters in list postings, *even though* our language
(Portuguese) needs them in practically every word.

rodolfo capeto