Subject: Re: Fonts for On-line Manual
From: "Hrant H. Papazian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 May 2000 10:13:12 -0700

Alexei Kostin wrote:
> I'm looking for a font solution for an on-line (PDF) manual.

Monospace:
http://www.lucasfonts.com/lucasfnt/thesansmocd/sansmocd.html
It's masterfully crafted and sets much better than the overly
wide (and overly light) Courier. And with seven weights, it's
a true marvel. Plus Courier has too strong a retro-officious
flavor now.

Proportional:
The way I see it, you have two possible paths. One is to use a
"ready-to-wear" font that has good overall performance. Georgia
is probably the first one you should try: it has a superb balance
of x-height, stroke contrast, color and spacing. Times is a poor
choice because its contrast is too high and its color too light.
Plus it's generic to the point of only being really usable to
specifically convey genericity. Note that I'm talking as a text
face here; some people who would never use Times for text still
like it for display setting.

The other way to go is the anal-perfectionist way: choose
a MM font (like Kepler or Minion), and generate *just* the
right instance(s) for your needs, at the various point sizes
you'll be using. Note that this might take days by itself!

Whatever font(s) you choose, since this is for PDF (which follows
the full-fuzz anti-aliasing philosophy), make sure it has totally
vertical stems, and its curves are on the sober side, otherwise
you'll aggravate the blurriness.

hhp