Subject: Re: WhiteOut-L
From: Randal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 10 May 2000 15:48:07 -0400

A few links on the invention on Sequoyah's invention of the Cree writing
system.

The Sequoia tree was named after him (by naturalist David Douglas, I believe).

http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/0/0,5716,68538+1+66812,00.html

http://user.icx.net/~sequoyah/sequoy.htm

Has a sample of the alphabet.

It says that in 1827, the Cherokee council appropriated funding for the
establishment of a national newspaper.

It is sad to note that it was only three years later that Andrew Jackson
signed the Indian Removal Act which led to the Trail of Tears in 1838.

http://ngeorgia.com/history/nghisttt.html

On the Trail of Tears

http://joyce.eng.yale.edu/~joant/CherTabl.html

Has another version of the alphabet.