Subject: Talking to the wind
From: Ron Koster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 May 2000 11:32:31 -0400

At 04:15 AM 5/1/2000 -0400, Randal wrote:
>You might as well give up.

I honestly don't know what to say any more. While I've been on a completely
different career path (web design) from that which I had back when I was
working in social services with Native people, and as a result have sadly
lost touch with that community and many friends for about seven or eight
years now, I think I feel more kinship with them today than I ever did at
any time before -- although I say that with the full realization that these
few small moments of my life are nothing in comparison to what Native
people have to deal with every day of their entire lives, veritably
"surrounded" by others who just don't want to hear what they have to say,
and completely misunderstood even when they are listened to... and then
told to just be quiet and go away.

I feel so completely misunderstood with what I was trying to convey. I
suppose that I had hoped to perhaps enlighten us all a little bit -- and
no, not in any all-encompassing, spiritual way, but if only to pass on a
little of the gift (however painful in some respects) that I'd been given
through those years I spent with Native people, the realization and
sight/insight as to how deeply our attitudes and perspectives as
non-Natives, the way we look upon them and speak about them so
consistently, truly does affect them in virtually every way, in virtually
every aspect of their lives. And I say this last without any intention of
condemning anyone, for I do realize -- as has been veritably proven here
this morning by both your and Kate's responses -- that those attitudes and
perspectives that we hold are truly a symptom of our own culture, something
that is reinforced in the media and through education everywhere, and that
even just discussion of this all is veritably taboo, and most certainly
unwelcome.

I realize that I'm just talking to the wind, though, and that none of you
understand what I'm saying, that I'm just being "offensive" or inflammatory
or something toward you -- at least, I'm referring to those of you who
probably needed to understand what I've been saying the most, for I know
that there's others here who know all too well exactly what I've been
saying all along. Being offensive was not my intention at all, but at this
end of things, I suppose I can't complain if that's all that I've
accomplished. Perhaps my entire stance in this is seen as stupid or trivial
or just plain blown all out of proportion to some of you, but if that's the
case then I'm glad, if that's the only thing I've accomplished then at
least I've done that -- for at least you've been given a mere taste for
just a day or two of what it is that we non-Natives do each and every day
to Native people for their entire lives, from the day they are born until
the day they die.

You said, Randal, that I might as well give up. Well, I'll be quiet now,
since I'm obviously just talking to the wind here, as I said, and no doubt
I'll be completely misunderstood all over again, and I do have other very
important things that require my attention today (and coming days) -- but
don't ever take that as a sign that I've "surrendered", hands down or hands
up. I understand all too well now how non-Native perspectives and attitudes
only increase the conviction of Native people in the things that they
believe and that they know in their minds, hearts and souls. :/

Hmm... I guess I did know what to say.

Ron :)

Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue.
Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they
really are or people might think we're stupid. - Jules Feiffer

Allow me to introduce my selves... http://www.psymon.com
Digital art, dreams & fantasies... http://www.psymon.com/art/