Re: Black Letter Fonts (was Re: Type factoids)

Ron Koster <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 May 2000 12:11:37 -0400

At 05:40 PM 5/22/2000 +0200, Rolf F. Rehe wrote:
>Nice collection indeed! But if I may make one suggestion (and to Ron
>Koster too): Black letter type should not ever be used in all-caps
>style. The caps letters are so embellished that a word composed of
>them is almost illegible.

I did that on purpose -- and not to be illegible, but just to be "durn
fancy" (or whatever you want to call it). And just in the main title
graphic for the word "Psymon", and nowhere else (everywhere else I've just
used it normally, just regular upper/lower case). Personally, I really
really really like the way that looks like that (with the Flower decorative
initial for the "P" and the rest in uppercase Cloister Black as "fake"
lowercase). Of course, I have a biased opinion, naturally.<g>

"Illegible" (so to speak) can be nice, too, though. To paraphrase what
someone here wrote to me recently (off-list), what's life without a little
artistic license?

Ron :)

Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue.
Those of us who aren't artists must color things the way they
really are or people might think we're stupid. - Jules Feiffer

Allow me to introduce my selves... http://www.psymon.com
Digital art, dreams & fantasies... http://www.psymon.com/art/