Re: Ye example

Gary Munch <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 May 2000 22:57:56 -0400

> http://www.psymon.com/incunabula/coxe/page04.html
>
>Having troubles reading it? Well here, to "translate" a bit of this
>last-mentioned page (from English to English<g>)...
>
> To the good and gentle
> Reader

Several of the y+ are actually y+t; at least, that's the only word that
makes sense in those postions:

 Although, I lack such eloquence
        and learning, as is to be required in
        him, which should compile any work
        to (the) praise, or dispraise of a thing, yet for (That)
        I have myself been an offender in these

So unless there is a clear differentiation (which doesn't show in the gif)
between y+e and others, that one sort did service for many words not just
the one.

The round r was a feature of blackletter for centuries befor this type was
made, but almost always final.

There's also an interesting short k, lacking its ascender. Whether a broken
sort or a deliberate variant, hmm, hard to say.

G.