Re: Fonts for On-line Manual

"Hrant H. Papazian" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 May 2000 16:13:15 -0700

Ben Haskell wrote:
> Who cares if Courier is retro?
> The only issue here is on screen legibility.
> On screen "readability" does not yet exist.

Huh, sounds like me! :-)

However:
1. Legibility, readability, aesthetics, availability or
   anything else is never the *only* issue: balance is the key.
2. If Courier leaves a retro impressions, and you want to avoid a
   retro impression, then avoid Courier. Courier no longer has the
   neutrality necessary for most monospaced work; TheSansMono does.
   Only in pure immersive reading (which is sporadic/momentary) does
   the "impression" not matter; in the overall, the "impression" is
   an important factor.
3. Actually, although I think that on-screen readability is indeed
   a rare phenomenon, I believe that with hand-crafted anti-aliased
   bitmaps *at the right visual size*, it is currently possible to
   approach (but not surpass) the reading performance of hardcopy.
   Note that I have no empirical proof of this - it's a gut feeling.

hhp