Subject: Re: How can I include my custom <!ENTITY ...> elements within my .xsl file and NOT cause the server-side XSL parser to choke?
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 May 2000 12:27:16 -0400

At 09:37 AM 5/12/2000 -0500, Kirk Mahoney wrote:
>    ...[snip]...
>This difference in behavior suggests to me that Microsoft.XMLDOM, on the
>server side, chokes with a <!DOCTYPE xsl:stylesheet [ ... ]> element in the
>prolog of the .xsl file.
>
>My question is: How can I include my custom <!ENTITY ...> elements within my
>.xsl file and NOT cause the server-side XSL parser to choke?

Tres bizarre. I don't know the answer; I suggest that you post the question
on XSL-List -- a couple of guys from Microsoft (including the MSXML author)
are on the list and can probably point you to differences (if any) between
the client- and server-side products. XSL-List subscription info and
archives are at http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list.

One suggestion if you do take the query over to XSL-List: Be sure to
mention *which* version of IE5/MSXML you're working with -- and whether you
know if the server-side and client-side versions are the same. The original
IE5 included what MS called XSL -- with reason, since it followed the XSL
spec's draft that was current at the time. Within a few months, though, the
spec had split into a transformational component, called XSLT, and a
formatting-objects component, called either XSL or XSL-FO; and that's the
way it eventually stabilized as a Recommendation. XSLT is now supported
(albeit not in its entirety) only in a "preview release" of a new MSXML,
which replaces the one which came with IE5.

That's a long way of saying that people on XSL-List are quite justifiably
impatient with queries which they think are about the real XSLT, only to
find out (after a great deal of back-and-forth replies) that they're really
about quote-unquote "XSL"!

John E. Simpson          | "I hate it when my foot falls asleep
http://www.flixml.org    | during the day because that means it's
[log in to unmask]      | going to be up all night." (Steven Wright)