Subject: Very basic XML Question
From: "Williams, Ian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 15 May 2000 14:55:23 +0100

I am planning to create a windowsNT based prototype 'proof-of-concept' EDI-like system for the batch processing of XML files.

For outbound, the plan is to use Mercator as the mapping tool to map data from a legacy mainframe application into an XML file that complies with a DTD/Schema that I will define myself and transmit the resulting XML file as an SMTP plain-text attachment.

For inbound, the plan is to receive the XML data as an SMTP plain-text attachment, run the data through a validating XML parser to ensure the data complies with the DTD and then pass it through Mercator to map it into an appropriate format for loading into the legacy mainframe application.

My question is about the validating XML parser.  I have visited xmlsoftware.com <http://www.xmlsoftware.com>  and wdvl.internet.com/Software/XML/ <http://wdvl.internet.com/Software/XML/>  to identify appropriate parsers (the requirement is to use a major organisation's offering - i.e. Microsoft, Sun, IBM, Oracle).  I have downloaded Microsoft's parser, IBM's visualtoolswin, Sun's JAXP 1.0.1.

I naively expected to find an executable that I could incorporate into an NT script as a command line driven program to take parameters of an input data file, an input DTD and an output error file, but I didn't find anything like that.

Can anyone suggest the best way to do what I am trying to achieve?

Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Ian Williams
EDI Consultant
Phone: +44 (0)1293 778364

"This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and
opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of Canada Maritime. If you
are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forward, printing, or copying of
this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in error, please
immediately notify the Canada Maritime Help Desk on +44 (0) 1293 778225"