Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: correct spelling?
From: Jan Rueness <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 May 2000 13:54:12 +0200

This message is posted to you from ALGAE-L.

Dear All

Earlier this week I posted a question to the list with regard to the
correct spelling: Ceramium deslongchampsii or C. deslongchampii (without a
"s" which is the spelling employed in most recent check-lists and floras).

I thank for the responses from Paul Silva, Chairman, Committee for Algae
and from Mike Wynne and Eurico Oliveira. I am pleased to have confirmed my
understanding of the rules and that Ceramium deslongchampsii is the correct
spelling, since the epithet commemorates J.A. Eudes-Deslongchamps with a
terminal "s" in the name.

Silva writes: "The ICBN is clear on the matter. The correct spelling of the
epithet is deslongchampsii"
but
"If a generic name had been proposed as Deslongchampia, it would not be
correctable. The present-day consensus of nomenclaturists is that generic
names, unlike specific epithets, should not be tampered with".

and Mike Wynne writes:
 It is obvious that this man's name was spelled with a terminal
"s", Eudes-Deslongchamps, and so it certainly doesn't require any formal
proposal but just using that spelling, and gradually people will catch on.
I noticed in checking volumes of Memoires Societe Linn. de Normandie from
1825 (vol. 2) he was president of that society, and he published some
articles in vols. 2-4.

Regards,

Jan Rueness

*********************************
UNIVERSITY OF OSLO
Professor Jan Rueness
Department of Biology
Section for Marine Botany
P.O. Box 1069, Blindern
0316 Oslo
Norway
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Telephone: (47) 22 85 45 24
Fax: (47) 22 85 44 38

末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
please contact Mike Guiry. More information and an archive of messages
can be found at http://www.seaweed.ie/algae-l/default.html
末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末