Subject: Re: Code to get an XML instance from a DTD
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Apr 2000 19:22:53 -0400

At 06:59 PM 04/13/2000 -0400, Michael J. Hudson wrote:
>Random pondering here to see if I can cut some corners...
>Does anybody know if there's any code out there... or possibly even
>a Java bean that would take a DTD as input and come out with an
>XML instance from that DTD.  The actual data in the XML instance
>wouldn't have to be filled in, could just be blank.
>Any ideas?

Get thee to the IBM alphaWorks site and look at their Visual Tools suite.
It includes something called "Visual XML Builder." From the site:

    Visual XML Builder is a builder for constructing valid XML
    document from a DTD. In particular, Visual XML Builder can
    be used to construct a Trading Partner Agreement (TPA).
    Using Visual XML Builder, you can:
      - Create an XML model that conforms to a DTD
      - Customize the XML model to add in additional semantic
        information such as data types and constraints
      - Define user-exit for specifying application specific
        processing logic
      - Support re-use of other XML models
      - Validate an XML document
      - Generate the final XML document

The main alphaWorks page is:
In the "find a technology" pick list, top center of the page, just select
"Visual XML Tools." Note that when you go to that page, you get a
frames-based interface, with the main info on the right. Down the left side
is a menu -- scroll down until you see "XML" and click on it. As you can
see, there's a lot of stuff here... maybe (although I haven't checked) even
a bean maker like you mentioned. (They used to have such a thing but it's
been retired; I don't know if it's now available under some other name.)

If you'd rather go directly to the Visual XML Tools page, sans frames, it's at:

John E. Simpson          | "After they make styrofoam, what do    | they ship it in?" (Steven Wright)