Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Confusing Jigs/Book recommendation
From: Kenneth De Witt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Mar 2000 09:25:48 -0500

Dear all,

Further to my last email 'The Companion to Irish Traditional Music' (ed
Fintan Vallely) I had on order dropped through the letterbox. It's
exhaustive to say the least. Highly recommended.

I turned up 'single jig' and it does seem that the timing of the notes
dictates the naming, rather than the structure of the piece. It says-
'The single jig is in either 6/8 or 12/8 time. It differs from the double
jig in that the predominant rhythmic pattern in crotchet followed by a
quaver.... A fast version of the tune is referred to as a slide.....

A corrected Andrew De Witt