Subject: Fournier & New Bringhurst
From: andy crewdson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Mar 2000 01:08:55 -0800

>maybe the Monotype digitization *is* the re-interpretation (boney, etc)?
>FF Scala is Fournieresque in some respects, though doesn't have that

Well, what I'm looking for is more streamlined than Monotype Fournier. I'm
trying to spec something that is bony, with almost unbracketed serifs,
foot-serif'd 'b', 'y' with a flat serif on the tail (Zapf-esque lc 'y', I
guess?), normal-to-large x-height etc. Scala can look bony indeed, but
isn't what I'm looking for - it's too aldine. I want an odd amalgam (pardon
this nonsense): a neo-classical, bony, small-slab-serifed, post-modern
face. Whatever - I'm no Bringhurst*.

Like I said in my original post, something quite similar to the type which
THE FACE use in body copy in certain spots (in their letters section, for
example). I've looked for something like this extensively and have had no
luck - very frustrating.

* Speaking of Bringhurst, today I saw an advance copy of the new
Bringhurst/Chappell book "A Short History of the Printed Word." It's darn
good - and no Minion (SORTED!). The cover is a bit naff though.