Subject: Alcohol consumption in today's British Isles
From: Patricia Radford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:27:09 -0600

Maqqi wrote:

Indeed, but again I have to ask what relevance this has. This is a part of
the picture, and has a *lot* more to do with the culture in Ireland, the
feasibility of prducing wine in Ireland and the levels of duty applied to
wine imported into Ireland.

Absolutely correct.

Also, what about the tourists? I doubt these figures separate their
consumption which, I would suspect, is
substantial. I saw more tourists drinking heavily than locals during my
visit. (Mostly Americans, btw.) Ireland
is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world these days,
especially for Americans. This must
have considerable impact.

In any case, folks, the potential for exploration of this topic to become
truly tasteless is enormous. I repectfully
suggest we move on. In hopes of changing to a more scholarly topic . . .

Maqqi,

I haven't had a chance to thank you for our discussions about head imagery
on Irish churces some time ago.
They were extremely helpful. I've been working with mermaids on churches
lately--any ideas about their meaning
other than the standard notion that they were warnings against the sin of
lust?

Thanks,

Pat