Re: encoding ?

"John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Feb 2000 08:44:50 -0500

At 11:56 AM 2/4/2000 +0000, Adrian Brogan wrote:
>The XMLDecl line in an XML document, may contain an encoding attribute
>
>e.g. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="IBM274" ?>
>
>Is the XMLDecl always in UTF-8 encoding (or some other encoding), and the
>rest of the XML document in the encoding specified in the XMLDecl encoding
>attribute. If not, then what is the point of the encoding attribute ? I.e.
>if an XML file is in IBM274 encoding, then an XML parser could not read the
>encoding attribute to determine the encoding if it is in IBM274 as it
>wouldn't understand the format.

One thing may help (if I understand the issues aright): I believe that in
order to be compliant, an XML processor (read "parser" for all intents and
purposes) must support UTF-8 and UTF-16; other encodings are optional.
UTF-8, for instance, is -- again, I believe -- the default encoding for XML
documents. So I think your theory must be right, that the declaration
itself is always in the default encoding.

John E. Simpson
I put contact lenses in my dog's eyes. They had little
pictures of cats on them. Then I took one out and he ran
around in circles. (Stephen Wright)