Subject: Re: A question about XML
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:35:05 -0500

At 02:44 PM 2/21/2000 +0000, Guillaume Rouchy wrote:
>Maybe I am about to ask a stupid question but why a browser would need to
>validate a document ?!

No, that's not a stupid question at all. And you're right that a browser
doesn't need to include a full-blown validating parser.

But remember that there are some important things that the hypothetical XML
browser might need to do that are *required* only of a validating parser.
These include entity substitution and attribute defaulting, which can't be
accomplished without referring to a DTD. Attribute defaulting may be
especially important in the case of XLinking elements, for which all
attributes but xlink:href might be supplied via a DTD. A browser that
ignored a DTD if one were supplied in the doctype declaration would
probably "misbehave" in some important ways.

John E. Simpson          | I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the
http://www.flixml.org    | same time. I think I've forgotten
[log in to unmask]      | this before.  (Steven Wright)