Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Tommy Peoples: The Iron Man
From: Philippe Varlet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 9 Jan 2000 12:03:44 -0500

At 12:36 PM 01/09/2000 -0000, Ted Hastings wrote:
>This album has two reels which I haven't been able to trace elsewhere: Sonny
>Brogan's Favorite and Brogan's Ferry.  Can anyone shed any light on these,
>eg: are there any alternative titles.  Also, the album has a strathspey
>which is simply entitled "William Marshall's".  Since Marshall wrote
>hundreds of strathspeys (none of them called simply "William Marshall's",
>can anyone enlighten me as to which one this might be?

"Sonny Brogan's Favorite" was recorded by James Morrison as "Miss Lyons'
Fancy" (transcribed in Ceol Rince Vol. 3), and appears in Ceol Rince Vol. 1
as "Up Against the Boughalauns"--"Up Against the Buachalawns" on the
Chieftains' "Boil the Breakfast Early." Evidently, Sonny Brogan played the
tune, since he recorded it with the Lough Gill Quartet as "The Ballinue
Rake" in 1941.

I haven't found "Brogan's Ferry" anywhere else.

I'd have to dig up my Marshall collection and go through it for that last
one. Perhaps one of our Scottish members will know the answer.

Philippe Varlet