Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Ceist agam
From: Steven Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:55:08 +0100

It certainly does, but it's a bit long-winded for me!
Would like a nice phrase that encapsulates "with the
benefit of hindsight" nicely.

Mcheal's "glic as didh limhe" is quite good, but
it's not really an exact equivalent of the above. I
wonder if I could say something like: "Ma bha mi glic
ro limh"??

--- Lois/Ted Macdonald <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Roddy MacLean ( Litir 294) gives a proverb that
> illustrates this nicely:
> "Tha a thapadh air teanga an ireannaich, ach 's ann
> an didh limh a tha
> tha an Gidheal glic." (The Irishman's cleverness is
> on [the tip of] his
> tongue, but it is after the event that the [
> Scottish] Gael is wise.)
>
> Eideard

Am fear a bhios na thmh, cuiridh e an cat san teine.

(The idle man will put the cat in the fire.)

I.E: The Devil makes work for idle hands.

Steaphan MacRisnidh