Help for GAELIC-L Archives

GAELIC-L Archives

Subject: Re: Cad e/ MANX?
From: Ciara/n O/ Duibhi/n <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 May 1995 23:31:22 EDT

>  What exactly is MANX? I first though that it was Welsh, but now I wonder if
> it is the mixed Scot/Irish dialects that may be found on the islands between
> the two countries.
It's the Gaelic dialect of the Isle of Man. There are no longer any monoglot
speakers, and few (if any?) whose first language it is. It is related to
the Gaelics of Ireland and Scotland, with which it forms the Gaelic
subdivision of the Celtic languages.
Its relationship to Welsh is much more distant. Welsh forms, with Breton
and Cornish, the Brythonic subdivision of the Celtic languages.
Ciara/n O/ Duibhi/n.