Help for GAELG Archives

GAELG Archives

Subject: Re: Hello (Reamonn MacIain)
From: Mark Kermode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 12 Dec 1998 18:11:00 00.00

Screeu Keith / Keith wrote:

> Aig a' cheud dol a mach faic Irish Dialects Past & Present le T. F.
> O'Rahilly, gu h-araidh duilleagan 128 ff. agus Ch. XV.
>
> Ach airson doigh scriobhadh a' Mhannainich, tha e ag radh  (d. 120-1)...
>
> "Manx is today practically a thing of the past. When it first comes into
> notice, a little over three centuries ago, it has no written literature
> of its own and is cut off from the literary heritage of its sister
> languages. Phillips and his successors, indeed, removed the reproach
> that it was an unwritten language; but in so doing they encumbered it
> with an orthography which was hardly more fitting to represent its
> sounds than the orthography of Early Modern Irish would have been. From
> the beginning of its career as a written language English influence
> played havoc with its syntax, and it could be said without much
> exaggeration that some of the Manx that has been printed is merely
> English disguised in a Manx vocabulary. Manx hardly deserved to live.
> When a language surrenders itself to foreign idion, and when all its
> speakers become bilingual, the penalty is death."
>
> Tha e soillear nach eil sin facal mu dheireadh air a' chuis. De do
> bheachd fhein co-dhiugh?
>
> Alasdair Maol-Chriosd

Ta ram sleih ta g'ynsaghey yn Ghaelg 'sy laaghyn t'ayn jiu loayrt
Gaelg ayns cummey Baarlagh agh shen yn aght tra ta shin g'ynsaghey
Áhengey erbee. Gyn ourys, va Ghaelg fo smaght ny Baarle 'sy laaghyn
s'jerree agh cha nodmayd gra shen mychione yn Ghaelg va goll er
loayrt ayns Mannin ny smoo ny daa cheead bleeaney er dy henney. Ny
yei as shen, v'ee anchasley rish Yernish as Gaelg Albinagh. Ta paart
dy leih credjal dy vel shoh kyndagh rish ny Lochlinee. Eer nagh vel
monney fockleyn Lochlinnagh ry-akin 'sy Ghaelg, ta cummaghyn
"Baarlagh" ry-akin 'sy Ghaelg roish my daink yn Vaarle stiagh 'syn
ellen!

Many people who learn the language today speak it with English idiom,
but that is true of any language we learn. Without doubt, Manx was
being corrupted by English in its last days, but we can't say that
of the Manx that was spoken over two hundred years ago. Even so, it
was distinct from Scottish and Irish. Some people think that this is
because of the Norse. Even though there are not many norse words to
be found in Manx, "English" constructions can be found in Manx before
English ever came to the island!

Neesht, jeeagh er Gaelg Albinagh as yn Ghaelg ain. Ta'n jees goll
ry-cheilley 'syn aght ta shin jannoo ymmyd jeh "ta / tha". Ta paart
dy leih credjal dy daink shoh veih ny shenn Vritaanee va cummal 'sy
Áheeraghyn shoh roish ny Gaeil. Cha row ad rieau ayns Nerin as, myr
shen, ta Yernish ayns cummey elley.

Also, look at Scottish and our Gaelic. The two of them are similar in
the way we form the present tense and some people think that this may
have come from the ancient Britons who inhabited these lands before
the Gaels came. They were never in Ireland, and so Irish has a
different form.

Ta mee slane son jannoo ymmyd jeh gooyn glen Gaelgagh ayns ymmyd jeh
Baarlaghys agh my neemayd Áhengey "smoo Gaelgagh" ass y Ghaelg, eisht
vees faa-hengey ayn nagh row rieau er mayrn. Cre'n feeu shen?

I'm fully for using clean Manx over Anglicisms but if we make a
"more Gaelic" language from Manx, then we will get an artificial
language that never existed. What's the worth of that?

Lhiush,

Mark Kermode,
Mannin.