Subject: Re: Irish Gaelic Translation Need
From: Dennis King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Jun 1995 08:11:24 -0700

On Sat, 24 Jun 1995, CONRAD BLADEY wrote:

> I urgently need the translation of : THE PAST
> into Irish Gaelic.
> As used in the sentence: My grandfather lived in THE PAST.

Bhi/ mo sheanathair beo san AM A CHUAIGH THART.
(lit., my grandfather was alive in the time that has gone by)
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mhair mo dhaideo san AM FADO/.
(lit., my grand-dad lived in olden time)
While there is a single word for "the future" in Irish (an todhchai/),
there is no one noun for "the past".  We use various phrases instead.
Another way of saying "in the past" is "san am ata/ caite", literally, "in
the time that is used-up, worn out".  In Scottish Gaelic one might say,
if feeling a bit poetic, "sna la\ithean a dh'aom" (in the days that have
bent over, bowed down).

Dennis King