Subject: Re: Celtic.
From: Sharon Smith Hurlburt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 24 Jun 1996 22:50:47 -0400

At 09:43 AM 6/24/96 -0400, you wrote:
>I don't understand why this list is Irish.   I thought Celtic culture more
>than one country.     I am hopelessly confused.  Yours In Ignorance.    Alice.

It isn't just Irish- that's just the major topic of the moment.  In the time
I've been on, we've covered everywhere from Ireland to Scotland to the Isle
of Mann to Brittany and Cornwall- and even a bit of England! :)  I think we
tend to talk about Ireland for two reasons- (1)alot of us are of Irish
descent in some manner and (2) for some reason folks associate Celtic stuff
more with Ireland than anywhere else (for example, at my store all the
Celtic music collections are officially listed as being "Irish" collections,
no matter how many non-Irish Celts are present on the disc- don't ask me
why, I don't quite understand it myself).  Stick around- we're bound to
start discussing King Arthur at any moment!  :)

Sharon,
who had to pull out our catalog to prove to her boss that yes, Maire Brennan
(of Clannad fame) really does belong in the Irish International section, not
Pop/Rock  (one of these days, they'll figure out that I know what I'm
talking about...)