Subject: Re: Ogham in Africa?
From: Edwin van Geelen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 11 Sep 1994 14:03:53 +0000

Did anything go wrong with this post? It didn't seem to appear on the list. A
second try...

In the (wonderful) book "Lightning Bird" by Lyall Watson, I found an
interesting reproduction of an African rock-painting. It depicts a giraffe,
with beside it a line of what looks like ogham.
| || || ||| |||| || |||
-----------------------
|    || |||      || |||
(I'm afraid you'll have to use a fixed spacing font here...)
According to Watson, it would spell RZRF, which he thinks could mean "Rai
ZaRaFa", Arabic for "See the giraffe". As far as I know, however, it spells
ADOUCOU (left to right) or UOSUOLA (right to left). Still, it looks very much
like Ogham to me, which is very interesting in Southern Africa.
There is also mention of (oi, my cursor is gone!) a piece of slate owned by a
Zulu witchdoctor, inscribed with hieroglyphs, something which is presumed to
be an old Arabic script and (again) Ogham.
Does anyone know more about this?
"Oh, what sad thimes are these, when
passing ruffians can say 'Ni' at will
to old ladies..."