Subject: Re: Lebor Gabala Erenn questions
From: Michael Helm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Sep 1994 07:43:33 -0700

On Sep 26, 10:56pm, Cybermonk wrote:
> 6) If I wanted to check his translation of the occasional word is there an
> Old Irish dictionary that is particularly superior?

There's the Royal Irish Academy's
"Dictionary of the Irish Language" (Compact edition)

You may be able to get it from Ford & Bailey, altho Dan Melia
told us last year it was on its way out of print, I think.

>         What about a *reference* grammar?

Thurneysen's Grammar of Old Irish

>         OK, supposing I go out of control and decide to learn Old Irish,
> any suggestions on a textbook?

If you have modern Irish, Seanghaeilge Gan Dua by Padraig O Fiannachta.
If you don't, there are some other learning aids like Quin's Old Irish
Workbook & some simple texts but it's hard to rcommend them without
a teacher behind them.