Subject: Re: That Pat
From: "Anneliese L. Kennedy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Apr 1995 08:22:13 -0400

I don't think the suppression of Celtic culture in Ireland can be laid at
St Patrick's door.  As did most Christian missionaries of the time,
Patrick adapted many Celtic traditions into the Irish Church.  I think
more blame can probably be laid at the door of the Norman English, who
used their "version" of the Church to bolster their pretensions to
Ireland during their many invasions.  Since the Irish Church was based on
the monastic system (as was the Welsh), it was considerably different
from the episcopal system supported by Rome, and used throughout most of
Europe.  The Norman English accused both the Welsh and the Irish Churches
of abuses, in order to obtain papal support for their military ventures
in both countries.  Many of the early churchmen in Ireland were familiar
with and supportive of old Celtic customs.  Wasn't Columba supportive of
the bardic tradition?