Subject: Re: Recommended Books?
From: Murray Altheim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 25 Aug 1999 12:06:25 -0700

Tim Harvey wrote:

> That's not entirely true (look elsewhere if you don't plan to
> use Microsoft technology).
>
> "XML in Action" by William J. Pardi remains my first choice by
> far for a hands on introduction to XML and surrounding standards
> and technologies.  If you're bewildered by the alphabet soup and
> want to see how it ties together from complete LIVE examples
> instead of academic handwaving, this is the book to get.
>
> Although not XML, a good companion book I can't recommend highly
> enough is JavaScript Objects, Meyers and Nakhimovsky, WROX (which
> has a number of good titles).  There are a variety of XML
> applications possible but commercial browsers will probably
> remain the most widely used.  This is one of the few books I've
> seen that treats the defactor language and the document model
> from a CS perspective, again, with LIVE examples.  It shows that
> JavaScript is a great deal more powerful and sophisticated than
> its mostly limited use as a way to circumvent HTML limitations
> suggest.
>
> I'm not overly fond of Microsoft but anyone who suggests that
> the company is only a marginal or rogue player in the XML
> community misrepresents their participaton and does the XML
> community a disservice.

You can paint it anyway you like, but any book that does not differentiate
between a given 'standard' like XML and their customization of it is
doing the community a disservice. Last night I was perusing a recent
release that described "XML Data Islands" but made no mention of the
fact that this has nothing whatsoever to do with the XML 1.0
Recommendation, only their implementation of it in MSIE.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML Grease Monkey         <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
Member of Technical Staff, Tools Development & Support
Sun Microsystems, 901 San Antonio Rd., UMPK17-102, Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900

                   I eat Blair Witches for breakfast.